Monday, May 19, 2008

Breathe



I live in the great city of Port Neches. What that means is, when I take my kids to play at the park about 2 miles from my house, this is what lurkes in the background. We reside in the foothills of the refineries - petro-chemical plants. Hey, it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it right? But this plant serves not only as a looming eyesore. Here's a self-proclaimed description of what goes on there:

WE MAKE
  • Gasoline: Regular, premium unleaded and low-sulfur gasoline. The refinery produces reformulated and conventional gasoline for domestic
  • Jet Fuel : Commercial aviation fuel
  • Diesel Fuel and Heating Oil: Low-sulfur diesel is used in the trucking industry and in heavy-duty machinery. Heating oil is used as fuel for furnaces primarily in the northeastern U.S.
  • #6 Oil: Tanker fuel, power generation and locomotives
  • Chemical Feedstocks: Ethane, propane and butane are used in the manufacture of ethylene, a major building block for chemical products. Other products include gas oils, naphtha and reformats
  • Largest single lube plant in the US, producing lubricant base oils
Comforting.

I've read numerous times that indoor air is actually several times more polluted than outdoor air (because of our plastics, processed furniture, paint, etc.) But I really wonder if that's the case here in Port Neches. Think
of all the off-gases that the refinery puts into our air on a daily basis.

Well, if you find yourself holding your breath, like I often want to, here's something I found helpful. There are actually houseplants that help purify the air in your home!




This is a schefflera I bought a few months ago. It was actually about twice this size, and I split it up into several different plants to put in different rooms throughout the apartment. These are very easy to care for, and pretty, too!




And this is an English Ivy. It also makes a very easy and pretty houseplant.

Note: if you have infants or toddlers, be sure to keep plants out of reach, and check the area daily for fallen leaves that little hands can find.

Other good air-purifying plants include peace lilies, bromeliads, and spider plants. So, make an inexpensive investment, bring the outdoors in, and breathe a little easier.


2 comments:

3 Zepeda's said...

I guess it may be time to find my green thumb and bring in some plants...I've always said I hated plants inside, but if it will make our air a bit cleaner, it's worth a shot! Thanks for the info, it is definitely useful! Love you!!!

Waters, Inc. said...

Would you believe I went out and bought four house plants! Thanks so much for your useful tips...I'm looking forward to more in the future. Love, Kristin